Thursday, October 2, 2008

Mormon Dads Tip #6


Give tired children a break.

Fatigue is one of the biggest factors in a child's behavior. I simply cannot expect my children to behave rationally when they are tired. I was reminded of this a while back when we went as a family to a waterslide/skating fun center. As it became time to go, my six year-old became rather upset that he couldn't stay and do more. Though I did not scream and yell at him, I was not the model of patience either. I took him in my arms and carried him out as he cried.
On the way home, I thought of how tired he must be. He had had a very long day, including a couple of hours in the van going to and from Orem to visit family. His day was capped off by 3 hours at a fun center. This is not something we do every day and he was excited, energetic, anxious, tired, and determined all at the same time. How could I expect him to play the part of "the model child." This is simply not a physically realistic expectation.

I reflect upon my behavior when I am tired. In fact, about an hour ago, my kids decided to play a prank on me. They snuck upstairs with an inflated whoopie cushion to where I was sleeping (incidentally, they won the whoopie cushion at the fun center) and quickly deflated it, making a loud noise that woke me from a light slumber. I was going to show them! I stomped downstairs and told them that each of them had to go to bed for the rest of the night. They argued that they were just having fun, but I told them that they were too loud. Then, I rescinded on my order to go to bed and just told them to "be quiet and stay downstairs". Boy, I sure acted wonderfully. I'll take Hyrum's tired behaviors any day over my tired grouchiness.

No comments: